Monday, January 27, 2020


Willpower
That evening I was watching TV with my wife, Dr. Deb.  She turned on the local news.  I asked her to change the channel.

“You always watch this,” she said.

“The judge asked us to avoid the news. If there’s a trial story, curiosity might get the better of me.  Once I start watching, I’d have a hard time turning away.”

Dr. Deb laughed. “For someone 31 years sober, you don’t have much faith in your willpower.”

“I’m sober because I don’t trust my willpower. Besides, testing your willpower can become a rush.”
Dr. Deb looked doubtful. I explained.

“A guy I know slipped after ten years. He’d go to the bar to drink Pepsi. He said his heart would beat a little faster. He’d be keenly aware of other people drinking.  Friends would congratulate him on staying sober in a bar. That old feeling of getting over, getting away with something took hold.  Before long he was going to the bar five times a week.”

“I’m glad you don’t trust your willpower,” she said. “She pointed to an almost empty candy dish. “I’ve seen you try to eat just one.”

Today I won’t test my willpower.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment