Thursday, January 23, 2020


The Lighter Side
Her name was Corrine. She pronounced it CO Reen. Everyone called her “Co” or “Co Co”. She sat to my right in the second row of the jury box.

The DA was questioning another potential juror. The woman let the DA know she was doing the court a huge favor reporting for jury duty.

“You all know she has a tiny little purse with a tiny little dog,” Co whispered to me, laughing.

I laughed. The adult in me thought, ‘drop it.’ Instead I said, “The dog sits on a tiny little couch when he gets his nails done, hating her with every part of his tiny little heart.”

Co said, “That’s why the dog takes tiny little poops in her shoes.”

When you’re not allowed to laugh is when you laugh loudest. Which I did.

The judge gave us a look I remembered from school. It said, ‘if I have to separate you two, you won’t like where I send you.’

I didn’t know then how long and painful the trial would be, or how grateful I’d be for someone I could laugh with.

Today I’ll be grateful for people who make me laugh.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment