Friday, January 24, 2020


Take Care
The entire jury was seated by noon on a Friday.  The judge dismissed us until Monday morning. My first thought was I could get to my office by one, eat lunch at my desk, and get half a day’s work in before dinner. 

At that time I taught a course on Ethics, arguing people in the helping professions had an ethical duty to take care of themselves. I’d argued the need for self-care went beyond professionals, and included people who cared for family members in particular, if not everyone in general.

I recognized it wasn’t always easy. Sometimes more needs to be done than we have time to do.  But, whenever possible, I had told many audiences, you have a responsibility to take care of yourself. 

I went to the gym. Rather than picking the hardest course on the stationary bike, I rode one with a gentle slope at a reasonable pace. Afterward, I sat in the sauna.

Today I will take care of myself.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment