Tuesday, January 28, 2020


One
“It’s your fault I eat too much candy,” I said to Dr. Deb.  “You keep refilling the bowl.”

Dr. Deb said, “You say you’re going to have one piece and you always end up eating ten. By the way, the candy isn’t just for you, you know.”

“Maybe you should have told me that.”

“I have, many, many times,” She said, laughing. 

I shook my head. “I’m not sure I ever really believed the candy was for everyone.  Try being a little more forceful when you tell me things.”

She laughed again. “I’m forceful. It’s your all or nothing addictive personality that gets you into trouble. You could watch me add a drop of poison to a coffee pot. You’d drink the first cup telling yourself one can’t hurt. In two hours you’d be lying on the floor dying, empty coffee pot next to you, wondering why you couldn’t stop at one.”

I started to argue, but knew she was right.  “The dog likes me better,” I said instead.  

Today I will remember the AA slogan: one is too many, a thousand is never enough.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment