Tuesday, January 21, 2020


Nothing Personal
The DA questioned me at length. So did the defendant’s attorney.  The judge called the attorneys   up. They held a long conference with much gesturing and looking my way. I got annoyed.

I sat up straighter in my chair. When they turned to look, I looked right back, my face a stern mask. Who were they to question my honesty, to assume I was biased?

Finally, the attorneys agreed I could be on their jury. I took a seat in the jury box. My mind cleared and I realized it was nothing personal. Neither attorney knew me.  They were just doing their jobs.

I wondered how many other times I’d taken something personally that wasn’t personal at all.  I’d be much happier if I didn’t.

Today I won’t take everything personally.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment