Tuesday, February 4, 2020


Just Rewards                
We broke for lunch. The judge instructed us not to discuss the trial. I asked if anyone wanted to go for pizza. Corrine, who insisted I call her Co, said she wanted a salad. And maybe some garlic breadsticks.

“I love those breadsticks dunked in marinara,” Co said.

Shane, a young man of about 20 with shaggy blond hair said, “If you’re gonna dunk bread in sauce, you might as well get pizza. Reward yourself for doin’ your civic duty on this jury.”

“I think I’m going to like you,” Co said.  The three of us went for pizza. Shane explained his theory that many people’s troubles came from not knowing how to reward themselves. They give themselves rewards they haven’t earned, they skip ones they have, and pick rewards that complicate their lives.

“How do you reward yourself?” I asked, thinking his reward likely involved a not quite legal substance.

“I have invested in my bed. I bought the best sheets I could afford. I have blackout curtains, sound canceling panels, a white noise system, and the quietest AC unit.  Sleep is my reward.”

“Won’t make you fat, get you arrested, or leave you feeling empty,” Co said, nodding her head.

Today I’ll reward myself wisely.

Jury Duty © 2019 by Ken Montrose
Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment