Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Understanding and Enabling

My phone buzzed. I didn’t recognize the name at first. I almost blocked the caller.


“Oh no,” I muttered.  The Preacher from my AA homegroup.


I debated faking my own death, but answered the call instead.


The Preacher faced a legal jam because of two years unpaid child support. His ex had been willing to renegotiate their settlement, but he’d put off meeting with her.


I understood. After much delay, I had written my master’s thesis on procrastination.  


The Preacher said, “So, can you write a letter to the judge saying my past heavy drinking makes it hard for me to keep up with legal matters?”


“Trust me,” I said, “I understand procrastination. But, I’m not gonna write a letter to enable you to dodge your responsibilities.”


When I finally got him off the phone, I thought about the difference between understanding and enabling.


I might get the appeal, even the compulsion, someone might have to do something not in their best interests.  That didn’t mean I should help them keep doing it.


 

Today I’ll separate understanding from enabling.


 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible
 

No comments:

Post a Comment