Thursday, September 18, 2014

Friday
September 19, 2014

Life on Life's Terms

Horses
Julie began staring intently into my face.  "You're looking a little puffy.  Pomegranate reduces fluid under the skin.  It's been proven."
"How has it been proven?" I asked.
"They did a study.  People who took pomegranate pills said they had less puffy features."
"Did they know they were taking pomegranate?" I asked.  "Did they know the researchers were hoping pomegranate had some benefit?"
"Of course."
I could have pointed out just how unscientific such a study was.   I could have explained how double-blind studies work, or why the placebo effect needed to be considered.
From the expression on her face, I could see Julie wasn't ready to hear any of it.  I might drag her to the water, but she wasn't going to drink. Arguing with her would be a waste of time and energy.  I smiled and said, "The pomegranate juice sounds nice, but my wife likes my face puffy." 


Today I will put my energy to good use, not dragging horses to water.

Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose


Upcoming  Trainings

Professional Enabling, Disabling, & Empowering
September 24, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net

Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7026078-garbage-trucks.

Smart Bears, Angry Rats

Young authors
As I started to write, I thought about my son.  His story wasn't just unfolding, he was writing it. All his friends I'd met, his teammates, and the people he knew at school were also writing their stories.   
Thinking about what might be brewing in their heads brought a smile to my face.  Who knew, given the tools available to them that were unheard of even a decade ago, what they might invent?  Or, how they would change the world?
I felt very lucky that at my age I might live to see some of their accomplishments.  No matter how bad the world seemed today, the potential for improvement was as immeasurable as their abilities and imagination.

Today I will be grateful for young people, and their limitless potential.

Smart Bears, Angry Rats © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment