Monday, September 15, 2014

Tuesday
September 16, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Competition
"I saw you at the gym," Kate said the next day.  "I was on the elliptical in the far corner.  You were on the treadmill."
"Glad to see you're getting some exercise.  It's great medicine.  How was your workout?"
"Sucky.  A girl about my age got on the elliptical next to mine just as I was getting started.  She kept looking over to see how fast I was going.  I looked at her machine and cranked up mine.  It became this unspoken competition.  I hated it.  When I finished I walked behind you to the water fountain.  You had your earphones in and this peaceful look on your face, like you were jogging through a forest or something." 
"That's because I pick my competitions."
"I have no idea what you're saying."
"Those treadmills have pre-programmed runs.  They remember past workouts, mine and other people's.  Sometimes I compete against myself, trying to run a program faster than I ever ran it before.  Sometimes I look at the leader board and try to run faster than somebody on it.  Most times I just listen to my music and jog."
"What's your point?"
"I only compete when I want to.  I don't let people draw me into competition. Listen, competition is good for you, but not everything is a competition."


Today I will decide when I want to compete.

Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7005727-hidden-talents


Upcoming  Trainings

MISA Assessment
September 17, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net

Smart Bears, Angry Rats


More than one button
"What's your reset button?" my daughter asked. I was sitting between my daughter and my son on the couch.  My daughter was reading the message from the day before.
"Sometimes it's you," I said. "You bring a smile to my face on days I can't find a lot to smile about."
"Just sometimes?" 
"Sorry kiddo, but there have been times you were the reason I needed a reset button."
My daughter laughed. "No way! I'm adorable, and lovable, and I get good grades.  You must be thinking of Brat Boy.  You don't need a reset button with him, you need an on/off switch.  Not for you, for him!"
"Oh really," my son said, laughing.  "Do you remember when Dad was running seven or eight miles at a clip?  Do you remember what you were doing at the time, Blondie?  You were dating the Loathsome Loser!  Mom and I were just glad Dad didn't go running into traffic."  He paused for a second to smirk at his sister.   "Hey Dad, tell her I'm your reset button."
"There are times when you're my reset button," I said to my son.  "There are times when I run an extra mile or two because of you. My family and running are my reset buttons.  It's good to have both people and something you enjoy as reset buttons."


Today I will seek out new resets, people and things that lift me up.

Smart Bears, Angry Rats (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment