Monday, September 22, 2014

Tuesday
September 23, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Creature of habit
Smiley, Julie, and Kate walked into the first group meeting of the day.  I went to my office to check my phone messages and email.  My wife had sent me a message pointing out my other blog had the wrong date listed in the subject line.  Earlier in the week, I had sent out several messages with typos.  I started to berate myself, but realized there was no point.  My time would be better sent spent figuring out why I was making so many mistakes.
That week my father was visiting.  Rather than writing during the day, I was spending my time with him.  My writing took place late at night.  The days when I could function on little sleep, and write past midnight, were long gone.  I realized I needed to change my habits if I wanted to eliminate mistakes.


Today I will correct my mistakes by changing my habits.

Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

Upcoming  Trainings

Professional Enabling, Disabling, & Empowering
September 24, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net

Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7044675-forgotten-celebrated-or-infamous.


Smart Bears, Angry Rats

Survival Thrills   150 years later
"We survived!"  Sonya's neighbor yelled from her porch when she heard the gun shots.  "That's right, Mr. Bear – I'm still here.  I'm soaking up the sunshine, and leaning into the wind.  I'm smelling the coffee. I'm tasting the cornbread and honey!"
Sonya looked across the yard, and laughed at her neighbor's exuberance.  Sonya still felt bad for the bear, but couldn't help but get caught up in the moment.   She extended her arms for a hug across the short fence.
"I'm alive, Sonya," Sonya's neighbor said.  "I'm still alive."  She let go of Sonya, threw a few punches into the air, and danced a few steps.  Bears had killed three people in the neighborhood in the past year.  They had become adept at eluding patrols, and using fallen trees as ladders to climb walls.  They had even learned to push boulders onto side streets, waiting to ambush motorists.   
"You are so alive," Sonya said.

Today I will celebrate whatever I've survived, and just being alive.

Smart Bears, Angry Rats © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment