Thursday, September 25, 2014

Friday
September 26, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

The Carrot and the Stick
"I'm scared to death," Julie said.  "Darren can't wait to be a father.  I'm not sure I'll be a good mother.  Krista said just do right by the babies today, but I can't help but worry about tomorrow."
"I know you're scared, but I've never seen you more serious about staying clean.  I'll bet you haven't had a cigarette since you found out you were pregnant."
Julie started to cry.  "Not one.  Not one. Not even one!  I love those babies.  I can't take my hand off my belly.  I can't stop thinking about them.  Every night that I go to bed without getting high or smoking, it feels like my heart will explode.  I can't believe the happiness and the sense of accomplishment."
"In a strange way you're lucky.  You've got a carrot and a stick to keep you clean.  Your fear of hurting the babies is a big stick, and your love and joy are the greatest carrot imaginable."
She shrugged, smiled, and putting both hands on her belly, said, "We'll be OK."  She started to walk away, but turned to say, "Have you noticed the shadows are getting sharper?" 


Today I will try to grateful for both the carrot and the stick.

Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

Upcoming  Trainings

Standing on the Same Step (stages of recovery)
October 1, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.


To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net


Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7062278-green-grass.


Smart Bears, Angry Rats

Not so fragile 150 years later
The day after the bear was shot, the young soldier appeared on Sonya's iWall.  He was standing at the front door with an Army chaplain. 
"Good morning, ma'am," he said.  "May we come in?" 
Sonya's heart sank.  She had been expecting just such a visit for years.  They told her Jeremiah was dead, mauled by a bear.
After they left, she sat in her living room, pondering how fragile a life could be.  She wasn't in the mood for perky, so she turned on the MAB, the Military Access Broadcast.  For the first time in almost 150 years, there had been a rise in the birth rate.  Humans were finally developing immunity to the virus that had turned nature against them and had threatened to wipe them out.  Lives may be fragile, but life isn't, she thought.  

Today I will take heart, knowing that while Individual lives can be fragile, life is not.
Smart Bears Angry Rats © 2014 by Ken Montrose




Smart Bears, Angry Rats (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose


No comments:

Post a Comment