Wednesday, August 5, 2015

29. Second Chance or Same Chance a Second Time?
The next day Tigger was sitting in front of the building, talking to Phil and Sam.  He wasn’t chain-smoking or pacing, which made me wonder what was wrong.
“It’s my ex,” Tigger said.  He told me a little about their relationship.  “I totaled Tim’s Porsche. He said things don’t matter, people do.  While he was on a business trip, I left our house unlocked for a week while I stayed with friends.  Thieves took everything, including some family heirlooms.  He said that’s why we have insurance.  We bought a riverfront condo and dock.  I crashed our boat and almost drowned.  He didn’t say anything.  I asked him if he was glad I was OK.  He said I wasn’t OK, and he couldn’t watch me destroy myself anymore.  I had to get help or get out.  I didn’t think I needed help, so I moved into the warehouse.  When the warehouse burned, I thought he’d take me back, at least until I got on my feet again.  I haven’t heard from him.  All I want is a second chance.”
“You don’t want a second chance,” I said.  “You want the same chance with him a second time.”
“He owes me that much,” Tigger insisted.
“I’m sorry but I gotta disagree.  Counting the Porsche, the robbery, and the boat, you’re asking for the same chance a fourth time. Nobody owes you that.  People who shake off an addiction, get out of an abusive relationship, maybe survive some trauma, they owe themselves a second chance at happiness. Get clean and sober and give yourself that second chance.”

Today I will remember nobody owes me the same chance a second time,
but I might owe myself a second chance.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

FREE NEXT WEEK (8/10-8/14) at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S
·         Dancing with Rachel (a novella)
·         Heroin, Oxycontin, & Other Opiates: Breaking your addiction to them
·         Home Groupies ( a daily messages novella)
·         Meditations for the First 30 Days: How not to become roadkill on the highway to recovery

·         Staying Clean, Taking Medications

No comments:

Post a Comment