Sunday, August 23, 2015

42. Calm Moments
I sat quietly with Blondie for an hour.  No TV, no radio, no laptop, no phone. Early in my recovery I couldn’t have stayed still that long.  Worrying about what might be and what had been would have kept me nervous and agitated.  I knew people whose brain chemistry didn’t seem to allow them to sit still, and no amount of exercise, meditation, or medication calmed their minds.  I was grateful not to be one of them.
Blondie asked me what I was doing.  “Nothing,” I said.
“Finally found something you’re qualified for,” she said.  I pushed her off the couch.   “Oh, it is so on, old man!” she said laughing as she climbed back onto the couch. “And believe me, you won’t see my revenge coming until it’s way too late.”

Today I will be grateful for calm moments.
Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment