Wednesday, August 19, 2015

40. All Aboard!
After Mick left, Sam poked his head into my office. 
“My dad gave the lawyer $50,000,” Sam said. “We already paid him his fee.  Pretty sure the 50k is bribe money.”  He shook his head. “I know this could turn bad, but I gotta see my son.”
“The B.I. Express is picking up speed,” I said.  “Now is the time to get off.  The longer you wait, the harder it’ll be.” He asked what the B.I. Express was.  “The Bad Idea train.  It’s fueled by booze, drugs, lust, peer pressure, pride, ego, and in your case, good intentions.  You can’t really steer it. Even if it’s pointed in the right direction leaving the station, you can’t know where it’ll end up.  Once it picks up momentum, warning signs and commonsense won’t slow it down.” 
 “You ever ride the B.I.?” he asked.
“One memorable ride in college started with a lot of beer and someone saying, ‘We should visit the girls’ college.’  Someone else pointed out we didn’t have a car.  By that time the B.I. Express was picking up steam, so we stole the truck from the summer theater.  The ride went downhill from there.  Every now and then I still ride the B.I Express,” I admitted. “I just don’t have my own railroad car anymore.”


Today I’ll try not to ride the bad idea train.

 Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment