Wednesday, August 12, 2015

35. For My Sake, For Their Sake
The next morning I was eating a donut at the kitchen table when Blondie came charging down the stairs, phone in hand, ranting about the men in her life.   Her grandfather Grumpy, autocorrect for ‘Grampy,’ had set new highs for cholesterol, blood sugar, and weight, at his checkup. A friend who had joined the military to study computers now wanted to be an Army Ranger instead.  She showed me selfie her brother had taken from a boat in the middle of a lake.  He wasn’t wearing a life jacket.  It was then she noticed the donut.
“Grandma died from heart disease and Grumpy is diabetic.  Why do you live on a diet of sugary fat!?” she asked.  I tried to make a joke, but she wasn’t having it.  I saw the pain in her eyes and realized I owed her more than an apology.

Today I will take better care of myself, for my sake, and the sake of people who love me.

 Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

FREE THIS WEEK (8/10-8/14) at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S
·         Dancing with Rachel (a novella)
·         Heroin, Oxycontin, & Other Opiates: Breaking your addiction to them
·         Home Groupies (a daily messages novella)
·         Meditations for the First 30 Days: How not to become roadkill on the highway to recovery

·         Staying Clean, Taking Medications

No comments:

Post a Comment