Monday, August 31, 2015

48. Tough on Whom?
Before I left for the day, Carolyn called.  Phil had asked her to lie to his family about his last binge.  When Phil’s sister wanted to know how Phil ended up in rehab, Carolyn told her she’d have to ask Phil.  Carolyn was very upset, even though she thought she’d done the right thing.
“If it tore me up not to lie for him, how will I ever take a really hard stand, like not letting him in the house when he’s drunk?” she asked.
I said, “Tough love is rarely easy for anyone.  You’ll get tougher. Not meaner, not callous, but better at saying no when you have to.”

Today I will accept tough love can be tough on everyone.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment