Tuesday, August 25, 2015

44. The Old Adages
After Tara left, I checked our publication sales figures.  Flat. I pondered Tigger’s suggestion I add more sex, violence, and vampires to my writing.  A quick look at Amazon’s bestseller list made me think he was right.  I sent The Boss an email.

I wrote, “Boss – Mourning Sun: It’s a YA novel about billionaire cattlemen vampires solving crimes and seducing interns.  Based on Amazon’s bestseller list, think this could generate $$$.”

The Boss wrote back “Not really sure how this ties into addiction/recovery?  I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but maybe you’re thinking about changing your style to sell more?   How well will you write twisting and contorting yourself to fit the market?  Write what you know, let the chips fall where they may.”

I knew she was right.   I’d heard the old adages many times: To thine own self be true. Do what you love.  You can’t please everyone.  Still, the idea of selling more books had its appeal.

I wrote: “What if all the characters end up in rehab, with the vampires attending the evening program?  Did I mention they have washboard abs?” 

She wrote back, “You need a vacation.”  I knew she was right again.

Today I will remember sage advice: To thine own self be true.

  Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment