Thursday, August 20, 2015

41. My Full Attention
“Did you ever find out what was bothering Demanda?” I asked Blondie when I got home that night.  She was sitting on the couch, finishing up her summer reading assignment for school.
Blondie said, “I talked to her sorta friend, Meghan, who said nobody but the boys at school pay attention to Demanda.  Her father’s some kind of big bossman in the gas industry. Her mother runs a bunch of dental practices.  They don’t make much time for her.  It’s worse when school starts because Demanda takes honors classes that keep her busy.  When they’re all in the same room they’re all on different devices.”
“Maybe she’s mean to boyfriends because their attention reminds her she’s not getting the attention she craves from her parents.” I said.
“That would explain a lot,” Blondie said.  “You should be some kind of counselor.” She picked up her book and curled up beside me.  I thought about how often people sat together but communicated with people miles away.  I decided to turn off my phone and laptop.

Today I will give people what’s becoming a rarity – my full attention.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment