Sunday, August 2, 2015

26. Pride v. Conceit
Tigger asked me if I had to rebuild when I got sober. “You haven’t heard my mantra?” I asked, laughing.  “It’s my story in a couple of sentences.  The last time I had a drink I made an illegal left at 3:00 a.m. and hit a county sheriff. I was $35,000 in debt, I’d just gotten kicked out of my Ph.D. program, and my divorce was a month from being final. I was living in apartment with no furniture, just me and a blind cat.”
“What bricks did you find in the rubble?” Tigger asked.  
“The first brick I found was pride. I had enough pride to know I deserved better.  I had enough pride to know I could make my life better.  But, I learned not to pride myself on being further along in my recovery than someone struggling to rebuild his life.  Feeling superior wasn’t pride I was told, but conceit. Conceit made for a poor foundation for rebuilding.

Today I will build on pride, not conceit.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
Other publications available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

 (Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment