Thursday, July 30, 2015

25. Starting Over
Tigger paused for a second. “I hate this,” he said.  “I have to start from scratch.  I lost everything in the fire.” He had been living in a warehouse where he parked his car, kept all his stuff, and worked on his various inventions.  Coke, Adderall, and cigarettes kept him going right up until he got careless with a welding torch. 
“People rarely start over from scratch,” I said.  “You lost a lot, but you have a lot more to build on. You’re here, which tells me you still have survival skills. You have experiences good and bad to guide your decision making.  Despite all the chemical insults you’ve delivered to your brain, you can still think.  You’re like one of those bombed out cities after WWII. They didn’t start over from scratch. Within the piles were whole bricks they could re-use.  They had skills.  They had history.  They rebuilt from complete devastation, and so will you.”
Today I’ll be grateful I don’t ever have to start over from scratch.
Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
Other publications available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

 (Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment