Wednesday, July 1, 2015

4. A different kind of trust fund
Sam asked about my father.  I told him my dad had wished he could have provided more material things, without realizing what he had given us.
I said, “He set up this trust fund of fatherly wisdom for me.  When I was too young to really appreciate it, I got a little bit of wisdom at a time. Mostly I ignored it while I was drinking.  One day, when I reached a certain level of maturity, I got a lump sum.  It was right before I got sober. Looking around, I realized I wasn’t going to be anything like him if I didn’t change my ways. After my daughter was born, the example he had set, the things he’d told me, were suddenly priceless.  I can’t say I always followed his example or his advice, but things turned out well when I did.”  
“Do you have a son?” Sam asked.
“I do. I’m trying to set up the same kind of trust fund for him and his sister. By the way, every time someone sees you doing the right thing, every sound piece of advice you give, goes into someone’s trust fund.”

Today I will start a different kind of trust fund for someone.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
Other publications available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S


(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment