Monday, July 6, 2015

7. Enemy Lines
Sam had said his mother had almost loved his sister Gloria to death. I asked him how.
“Gloria’s boyfriend was driving us to the mall.  She was in the front passenger seat.  I was getting high, sitting behind her in the back seat.  A drunk driver swerved into our lane and plowed into us.  Her boyfriend was killed.  Gloria hit her head on window and got pretty banged up.  I didn’t get a scratch.  Neither did the drunk.  Still feel wrong about that.  Anyway, later, when Gloria was in the hospital, she was having a tough time.  Crying, shaking, just not pulling herself back together.  My mother gave her some Valium, said she loved my sister too much to watch her suffer.  My sister went flat line and they had to shock her back to life.
“My mother loves Gloria and me, but she doesn’t understand us.  We’re both addicts. She’s gonna kill us trying to make us happy.”
“There’s a line I like from an old book, Catch 22 written by a guy named Heller.  Yossarian, a World War II bomber pilot, says it doesn’t matter what side he’s on, the enemy is anybody who could get you killed.  Your mother almost killed your sister. If you relapse you could die, if only a little at a time.  I wouldn’t want you to hate your mother like a real enemy, but you should know right now she’s no friend to your recovery.”
“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
Other publications available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S


(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment