Wednesday, July 15, 2015

14. Reject Regret
That afternoon my wife and I took Blondie to visit my alma mater. The campus was beautiful.  Blondie was impressed with the people she met, starting with our guide and ending with the admissions officer.  She loved the new dorms.  I was thrilled for her, but a dark cloud followed me around the school.
I had enjoyed my time there, but away from my parents, drinking had quickly become my main hobby.  The depressing accountant in my head started adding up all the wasted time, wasted money, and wasted opportunities of my college years.
There’s a passage in the “Big Book” of AA that says we don’t regret the past and we don’t shut the door on it.  Today people would say ‘it is what it is.’   Not wanting to repeat the past had helped me get sober, but regretting it that day served no purpose.  It could only take away from the pride and joy of seeing my daughter succeed.

Today I will waste no time on regret.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
Other publications available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S


(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment