Thursday, July 9, 2015

10. Are We There Yet
The next morning Sam stuck his head in my office to ask when he’d be better.  “What do you mean by ‘better?” I asked.
“You know, no cravings, no mood swings, sleeping, just all around happy,” he said.  “I gotta tell you Ken I thought I’d be feelin’ better than this by now.”  I pointed out he’d tested negative for the first time the day before.  He’d been using drugs for ten solid years.  Feeling normal might take a while.  He wasn’t happy with my answer as he headed off for group.
At 10:30 the group took a break.  As he walked from the group room past my office he asked me if I thought he’d be better in two weeks.  I told him I didn’t know.  He went out for a smoke. On his way back in he asked if he’d be better in a month. Again, I told him I didn’t know.
On his way to lunch he asked how long it had taken me to feel better. “I don’t know,” I said.  “I kept asking people when I’d feel better.  They told me I’d feel better when I felt better.  I wanted to punch them.  They wanted to punch me because I sounded like the little kid in the back of the car, asking every five minutes ‘are we there yet?’ They told me to get busy, distract myself with something positive, and one day I’d realize I was there, I was better.  I couldn’t tell you when it happened, just that one day I noticed life was much better.  By the way, as soon as you think you’re there, life presents a new destination.”


Today I won’t ask ‘are we there yet?’


Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
Other publications available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S


(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment