Sunday, October 11, 2015

76. Of Mice and Moles
Five days earlier my wife had laughed at me for believing the cat understood my instructions to catch moles rather than mice.  When I got home that day two dead moles rested eternally on the deck.  Normally I would have buried them immediately.  Instead I opened a can of tuna for the cat. “You are the best!” I said. I could see in his eyes he knew what I was saying.
I wrote a note for my wife: ‘Ain’t it nice, caught two moles, and no mice?’ Signed it, “Kitty” and drew a paw print. I made two tiny cardboard grave markers with the names ‘Ima Mole’ and ‘Ken Was-Wright’
Blondie asked me why I was putting so much effort into two dead rodents.  I told her celebrating the little things helped me stay sober. “Gloating over a coincidence is part of your recovery?” Blondie asked.
“Don’t you have homework to do?” I answered.


Life may be tough today, but I will be grateful for little things that go my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment