Thursday, October 1, 2015

70. This Will Cheer You Up
Mick stood in the doorway and said, “Sixteen weeks pregnant and all is well.”
I congratulated her. She started to cry.  She said pre-natal testing had confirmed her boyfriend was the father.  
“This is good news,” I pointed out.  She cried even harder.  Tigger tried to help. “Your cheating probably made him wonder how often you got drunk with your coke dealer.  The other guy’s a real stud, right?  I’d bet boyfriend pictured you with a long line of coke dealers, each of them better looking than him.  And he stayed with you? He must really love you. He’ll be a good daddy.”
I looked over at Mick, expecting her to be furious, bawling, or both.  She was smiling. 
“Tigger you suck so bad at cheering people up, it makes me laugh,” Mick said, wiping a tear from her eye.  “You’re really saying only someone really in love could partner up with a drunken, coked-up, tramp like me.  That’s supposed to make me feel better? It worked!”
  
Today I will be grateful for whatever works, for whatever reason.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment