Thursday, October 22, 2015

85. Say the Next Right Thing
Mick called us on Friday to say she was nineteen weeks into her pregnancy, the baby was fine, and she was still clean.  She choked up a little when she told us the baby could hear her voice now.
"What if I say the wrong thing?" she asked.  "From now on, my child will be listening."

Miss Rella told her to relax, kids never really listen anyway.  Mick laughed a little, but asked me if I'd ever said the wrong thing at a training or when I was running group.  A long list of bonehead, ill-advised, mistaken, and insensitive comments came to mind.  I decided repeating them served no purpose.

Instead, I said, "It's natural to worry about saying the wrong thing.  I purposely try to say the right thing when I can just in case I say the wrong thing accidentally.  For example,  I say I love you to my family as often as I can. That way when I call Blondie's boyfriend some other boy's name, she's not quite as mad at me.

The Other Ken studied me for a moment. "You call her boyfriends the wrong name on purpose," he said. "Nothing accidental about it!"

"We're fathers with daughters," I said. "It's our job to keep boyfriends off balance."

Today I will say the right thing as often as I can, 
especially if that right thing is 'I love you.'

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment