Tuesday, October 20, 2015

83. This Side of Reality

“How’s your mother feel about you not seeking custody?” I asked Sam when I ran into him at the end of the day.
“Totally betrayed,” Sam said. “Mom rewrites history making herself the hero. Any time you go against her, she reminds you how her heroics saved you.  You’re then supposed to melt into a puddle of guilt and gratitude.  Do you remember the story of my sister’s accident, how a drunk driver killed her boyfriend? In my mom’s version, Gloria was about to have a heart attack in the E.R.  Just in the nick of time Mom administered a Valium, saving the day.  She says the E.R. medications, not the Valium, almost killed Gloria.  In her mind she saved Gloria and Gloria stabbed her in the back by taking my side.”
“What do you think?”

“Mom loves me to death, but she’s completely irrational and unreasonable.   I have to love her from this side of reality, even if she hates me for it.”

Today I will love someone from this side of reality.
Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose
(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment