Wednesday, December 21, 2016

4.  Wanted
Gerry waited for me to test his sample.  He was negative for the fifteen different drugs. 

“Completely clean,” I said.

“Good to know,” he said.

“You don’t seem very happy about it.”

“I am, but it’s just one day.  I still want to drink. I want to do half the drugs you test for.”

I laughed. “Gerry, wanting and doing are two different things.  I’ve been sober twenty-eight years and every now and then I want a beer. I know easy-going folks who want to choke a co-worker. One of the most honest, ethical, people I know wants to rob a bank.  He can tell you how he’d do it.  If wanting and doing were the same thing, civilization would have ended long ago. Now if you told me you a had compulsion, or felt overwhelmed by a craving…”

Today I won’t be too concerned by my wants.

Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment