Thursday, December 22, 2016

5. Narcancelled
When I finally got to my office I got an email about Narcan from a colleague.  The article was well-written, but the comments made me cringe.

One post asked why we wasted tax dollars keeping addicts alive.  Most of the comments said people who choose to endanger their lives with drugs should get no further health care.

“Why stop with addicts?” I said to my laptop.  “We could save a lot of money by refusing healthcare to people who make any life-threatening choices.  Bad diets lead to heart disease, the number one killer in the US.  If people continue to eat salty, fatty, sugary foods, why waste taxpayer dollars, not to mention insurance money, on them?  What about people who don’t exercise three times a week?  Or allow stress to weaken their hearts and their immune systems?”

I went on ranting to my computer, “Cancer is another big killer we spend taxpayer money on.   Why should we spend money treating folks who drink too much alcohol, get sunburned, or smoke? More people die in traffic accidents than overdose.  Anybody at fault in a traffic accident should lose his health insurance.” 

I said to my laptop, “Eliminate everybody who makes poor choices, and that leaves three vegetarian yoga instructors we’d have to provide healthcare for.   Only covering their costs will save the system billions.” 

Today I will advocate for whatever keeps people alive long enough to make better choices.


Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment