Sunday, December 18, 2016

Needles not for Knitting

1.       Just Happy To Be Alive
I left my home with loved ones safely sleeping in their beds.  A feeling of contentment washed over me.  I should have stayed and enjoyed the moment.

A car flew past me as I pulled out of my driveway, mistaking my suburban lane for the Autobahn.  At the four-way stop, I let the guy next to me go first. A tan SUV arrived a moment later, rolled through the stop, almost hitting me, clearly not understanding the whole ‘take your turn’ concept. 

Pennsylvania ranks third nationally for deer v. car collisions.  Someone who might not have known that rode my bumper as I drove slowly through a wooded section of my route.  I almost wished a deer would jump out in front of me.  Given the choice of hitting the deer or slamming on my brakes, I may have hit the brakes.  Both our cars might be totaled, but the deer would be safe, and I’d be able to ask the tailgator if he was close enough now.

The tailgator roared past me as we turned onto the divided highway. He almost hit a dump truck.  The truck stood on his breaks and hit his horn.  Tailgator ran a red light and was gone.   I turned into the industrial park, relieved to arrive intact.
Today I will be grateful when I arrive safely.

Needles Not For Knitting (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Needles Not For Knitting is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: http://www.amazon.comHYPERLINK "http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S"/Ken-MonHYPERLINK "http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S"trose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment