Monday, December 12, 2016

98. On Admiration
“So,” I joked, “You went with ‘Felicia’ in honor of Felix, instead of ‘Kenni’ in honor of The Other Ken and me.”

A sound that seemed half laugh, half sigh escaped her.  She said, “Felix stole pills. He broke Margaret’s heart.  Hell, he broke my heart, but he had a lot of good qualities.  Had he survived the OD, I still would have named her Felicia.  I just wouldn’t let him near her until he had some clean time.  A lot of clean time.”

“I hear you,” I said. “You can admire the quality if not the person.”

“I did admire him.   Admired his kindness.  Loved his enthusiasm.  Loved his sense of humor.  Admired his intelligence.    I stopped admiring him when I realized he always put himself first.  Great qualities, but a selfish person."

Today I will look for qualities I admire, even in people I don’t.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment