Sunday, December 11, 2016

97. Grown-Ups

Several months later Anne stopped by my office.  She’d delivered a beautiful baby girl she’d named Felicia.

She said, “I want to get together with my baby’s father and his wife.  They want to too. Could you recommend a family therapist?   A neutral person to help the three of us stay on track?  Felicia’s interests come first, but we’re people, you know?  He’s mad at her, she’s mad at him, I’m mad at him, she’s mad at me.  We want someone to help us get past that and do what’s right.”

To my surprise, I choked up a little.  Working in human services over the years, I had met a lot of people who would do anything to help their children.  Sadly, I had seen so many people put their drug, the bottle, revenge, control, and their own lifestyle ahead of the interests of their kids.  It was gratifying to see the adults in Felicia’s life were trying to act like adults.

“I’ll get some names for you,” I said.

Today I will be grateful for adults who act like adults.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose


Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment