Sunday, December 4, 2016

92. Calm Before The Calm
I got to work two hours early.  Howard was waiting on the front steps.  I asked him why.

“Couldn’t sleep,” he said.  “No storm.”

I thought he meant the weather.  “You only sleep in thunderstorms?” I asked. “You must be exhausted.”

He gave me the eye roll I deserved. “My ex stayed with me a couple of days.  Calm the whole time.  No storm.” 

“That’s great.  What was different?”

“I was sober.  When I drink I call down the thunder.  I tell her she’s just like her crazy mother.  I say she should lose a few, or any man could do her job better than she does.  What’s different? Instead of picking a fight this morning I got up and made her breakfast.  I liked the calm, but I’m still not used to it.”

Today I’ll be grateful for the calm.  I’ll try not to create a storm.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment