Wednesday, December 14, 2016

100. Doing What I can

When Street Sign died, I visited the animal shelter by his house to make a donation.  The vet told me story after story about Street Sign.

Because of his health problems, Street Sign couldn’t walk the dogs.  He’d sit in a small room, in a comfortable chair, an older dog or cat resting its head in his lap, sometimes for hours. 

“He’d show up at noon and stay until we closed,” the vet said.  “We’d hear him telling the animals about his life, how much he had loved both his wives, how he loved his kids. It was sweet, the way he talked to the animals like they were old friends.   He donated money.  We tried to give him an award once, but he refused.  Whenever I thanked him, he’d shrug and say ‘I do what I can.’”  She thought for a moment. “That sums him up.  He wasn’t waiting to make some grand gesture.  He  couldn’t do as much as he wanted to, so he did what he could. I wish everybody did.”


Today I’ll do what I can.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment