Monday, December 4, 2017

Saturday, February 15th, 2020

Nothing Personal
Jack didn’t really stumble into the AA meeting, he shuffled.

“Before anybody says anything,” Jack said, “I’m on prescribed medication, that’s why I’m moving a little slow.”

 “Have you talked to your sponsor about the cough syrup?” I asked. “You’re not taking it as prescribed.”

“He said I relapsed, and I should change my clean date. He wanted me to start working the steps again. I told him I was getting a new sponsor.”

Jack’s sponsor was a Korean War vet named Emilio that everyone called Yoda because he was wise and looked a little like the Jedi master. I couldn’t believe Jack had rejected his advice.

I thought I’d learned to detach from other people’s recovery and addiction, never taking anyone’s relapse personally. Jack’s relapse was killing me.  “Jesus is going to be your new sponsor,” I said. “I swear, I’m gonna send you to that big rehab in the sky.”

“You’re making a mountain out of a molehill,” he said. We argued until the meeting started. I had to let it go.

Today I won’t take it personally.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment