Thursday, December 14, 2017

Monday, February 17th, 2020

Of Harnesses, Cough Syrup, & Snakes
It wasn’t until I hung up that I remembered Jack’s first draft wasn’t due until the 28th. He had two weeks with nothing else to do, except curl up with a good book and a bottle of prescription cough medicine. Probably without the book.   

I knew what he was feeling.  Deadlines used to be snakes coiled in the corner. A smart person would, sooner rather than later, harness their energy, knocking off the snake before it got bigger and nearer. Not me.

As a deadline slithered closer, my anxiety would grow.  I’d hide by doing less important things. My anxiety would red-line.

In college I’d start a twenty-page paper, on something I knew nothing about, on a Friday at midnight. Thirty-five cups of coffee later, I’d finish it 3:00 a.m. the Monday it was due, shaking and swearing I’d never procrastinate again. Or, I’d get drunk instead, and hope I could get an extension. I got really good at weaseling second chances, extensions, and make-up exams.

When I got sober, I knew anxiety drove a lot of my drinking. I’d have to quit putting things off. That’s when I learned a lot of anxiety is unharnessed energy. It can be used to kill the snake, avoiding the need to get drunk, and/or beg for another extension. The trick was to harness it early, before it became red-line fear.

I called Jack again.
Today I will harness my anxiety.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose
2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment