Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Saturday, February 22nd, 2020

Break Uneven
When I got to the meeting Mary Jo and Rudy were in their usual spots.
I sat down next to Mary Jo and pointed to her empty plate. “You ate a whole donut?” I asked. “Progress.”

She said, “Yesterday I had a grapefruit. That’s all. I didn’t even finish it. Today I ate three big meals and two donuts. I’m getting better, but it’s two steps forward, one step back.”

I said, “I remember my first year clean. Some days I couldn’t believe how much fun I was having sober.  Other days I wanted to punch the next happy person I saw.”

“You ever break up with someone, and you know it’s the right thing to do, but a couple days go by and a song on the radio reminds you of what you liked about them, and then you’re all sad, and thinking maybe I shoulda given her another chance?” Rudy asked.  “No matter what you’re recovering from, it never goes evenly. Up and down, happy and sad, until you’re finally better.”

Today I’ll remember the pace of recovery is almost never even.

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment