Monday, December 11, 2017

Sunday, February 16th, 2020

Heart, Mind, Brain, and Bad Places
“Jack’s going to miss his first deadline,” Jill said. “His publisher wants a revised first draft by the end of the month. I hate him.”

I laughed. She didn’t. “You still love him,” I said.

“I do,” she said, sounding none too happy about it.

“He loves you.”

“Then why did he relapse? He knew it would hurt me.”

“Relapse is like a computer virus,” I said. “The brain is the computer. The mind runs the computer, with the heart looking on.  Sometimes the mind takes the brain to places it shouldn’t, places infected with the relapse virus. Those places can be real, like a bar where the alcoholic thinks she’ll just drink Pepsi. They can be thoughts, like the sex addict lost in erotic daydreams at work.  The heart and mind want to do the right thing, but the virus hijacks the computer.”

Jill said, “Maybe.”

I said, “Once you got the virus, your priorities change. When you’re dope sick, you can have the most loving heart, and the best intentions, but you gotta get it in you, no matter who gets hurt. ”

 I reminded myself I wasn’t immune to the relapse virus.

Today I will keep my brain away from sketchy places.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment