Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Persistent
The tapping stopped.  He pulled out his laptop and looked for a solution online. His expression told me he’d gotten the answer, but still didn’t understand the process.  He picked up his phone and typed a message. Long pause, smile.  I guessed he’d texted his sister, who also excelled at math and science.  His phone rang. 

“Mom’s upstairs, Dad’s sitting in his chair,” Brat Boy said.  After he listened for a second he turned to me and added, “Blondie says not to pay her rent, give that money to me, she’ll be happy to live in the homeless shelter until she graduates college.”

“She told you to tell me she loves me, didn’t she?” I asked.

“That might be a closer translation of what she said, but I don’t speak blonde, so who knows?”  

Brat Boy picked up his notebook, read the problem to Blondie. He explained his answer and what he’d seen online. “It’s right, I know, but it doesn’t look right.” Another pause. “Okay, thanks.” 

Brat Boy boy was smart, but it was his persistence that really drove his success.  He reminded me of so many people I’d known who’d gotten sober, lost weight,  or moved ahead in their careers by combining something they knew with persistence.  They knew they had to make a change.   Day in and day out, they did what needed to be done to make that change.

Today I will be persistent.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment