Friday, November 16, 2018

You Bet
“While I’m thinking about it,” Dr. Deb said, “what’s with all the scratch off tickets in the garbage?”
I said, “Josh’s new thing is gambling.  He buys them twenty at a time.  He likes to say if you want to win, you gotta play.”

“The state doesn’t make money by printing winning scratch-offs. The house, the state, they always win.”

“I told him you have to play the odds.  It’s like being an alcoholic. Drive drunk often enough and you’ll get a DUI. Do the next right thing long enough, and odds are things will turn out OK.”

“Track mud through the house again and maybe your wife poisons you.  Odds aren’t in your favor.  Has Josh won a lot?”

“He makes twice what I do and he tried to borrow $100,” I said. “Because I bet on doing the next right thing, I had the money to give him. I didn’t give it to him because chances were good it would just feed his gambling habit.”  

Today I will play the odds.

 Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment