Friday, January 4, 2019

Stop Thief!
Trevor called me to say Roger was about to kill Josh, and could I meet him at Josh’s house. I got there after the police left.

“It wasn’t stolen, was it?” Trevor asked Josh as I walked down the driveway. “You sold it to pay off gambling debts.”

“I’m telling you someone broke into my garage and took the bike,” Josh insisted.  “You should tell your cop friends to get off their butts and go find it.”

I could see the anger rising in Trevor’s face. Roger wasn’t the only one ready to kill Josh. I put a hand on Trevor’s arm. His hand was still heavily bandaged.  He took a breath and in a calm voice said, “The burglar broke in through the front door. You have a garage door with a cheap lock. It’s hidden from view. A thief would have gone in through there, not the front.  The detectives noticed the pegboard over your workbench is empty. Where’d the tools go? You didn’t report them stolen, so we have to assume you sold them.  Clearly you need money.  That bike is loud as hell. If someone started it up in your driveway, why didn’t it wake you? Your driveway is steep and that bike weighs a ton. Are you telling me someone pushed it up that ski slope driveway of yours?”

“How many times have you said to be careful, criminals are clever?” Josh asked. 

“This has got to stop,” I said to Josh.


Today I’ll be grateful my addiction isn’t pushing me toward desperate acts.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment