Friday, January 18, 2019

Dependable
Later that week I had planned to drive to Chicago for Brat Boy’s volleyball tournament.  The weather looked dicey with the possibility of freezing rain and heavy snowfall.  In the past, Brat Boy and Blondie had told me I didn’t have to come to all their events, but I hated missing one.

Addictions create the need for apologies. I’m sorry I missed your birthday. I’m sorry I made an ass of myself. I’m sorry I’m unpredictable and unreliable. One of the great joys of recovery, at least for me, was being dependable. I wanted my kids to know I would be there for them.

During Blondie’s freshman year I drove to Kentucky to see her basketball game. She hadn’t expected me to make the trip since she hadn’t seen a minute of playing time. Her face lit up when she saw me. She waved while she was doing warmups. Blondie nudged a teammate and they both waved. Blondie’s smile melted my heart.

If I made it to Chicago, I expected Brat Boy would roll his eyes when he saw me, and then smile. Later he’d say something like, “Are people your age allowed to drive this far?” I might say, “It’s clever the way you serve into the net, or out-of-bounds. The other team never knows where the ball is going.”  We’d trade more insults. I’d say, “Love you kid.” He’d say, “Love you Dad.”  We’d go eat something greasy.   I couldn’t imagine a better time.

Today I will take great joy in being dependable.


Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment