Thursday, January 31, 2019

Happy Vomit
I went to the hospital the next day to visit Trevor, even though I knew he was in a coma.  When I got there, Sue was vomiting on the grass between the rows of parked cars.  Billie stood next to her, hand on Sue’s back.

I parked nearby and got a water bottle from my gym bag and a napkin from my glove box.  As I walked up, Sue heaved a final time and stood up straight. I handed her the water and napkin. She rinsed out her mouth and wiped her face.  She smiled.

“You OK?” I asked.

“Morning sickness,” Sue said.  She and Billie both smiled. I was baffled.

“You like morning sickness?” I asked.  The women laughed.

“Hell no,” Sue said. “I hate it.  How’d you like to puke five days a week?  I just like it more than vomiting up a half bottle of vodka.  The first time I ate Percocet I threw up, ate more the next day, and threw up again.  Compared to that, morning sickness is happy vomit.”

Happy vomit - Sue had learned to find silver linings watching the storm clouds of her addictions.

Today I’ll be grateful for the storms that taught me to find the silver lining.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment