Friday, February 1, 2019

“The Past Will Never Get Better, But You Will”
As we walked into the hospital, Sue told me about her sonogram.  She started to cry.

 “Why are you crying?” I asked.

“I feel great, but my baby…” She choked up. “But my baby, . . .“

My heart sank.

Again she stopped.  “The doctor said my baby is healthy, my pregnancy is going well.”

I laughed. “I’m starting to notice a pattern here. Things that should make you happy, make you cry.”

“You don’t understand,” Sue said, shaking her head and wiping her tears. “Alcohol was always my drug of choice, but after a few shots, I’d try anything.  I’ve done every drug you’ve heard of.  There’s no way I should be this healthy.”

“So why not just accept your good luck, and be grateful you and your baby are healthy?”

“Because there’s more.  Not only did I try every drug, I tried most of the men at the bars I went to.  Sometimes in the bathroom.  Sometimes in the parking lot.  Some of them were really bad guys. Some were married. Some were dealers I couldn’t pay in cash. I should be dead.”

“You can beat yourself up over your past, or you can stock of what you’re doing not to repeat it.”

Today I’ll take stock of what I’m doing to avoid past mistakes.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment