Tuesday, February 5, 2019

That’s Odd
Only two people at a time were allowed in Trevor’s room.  I told Billie and Sue I’d wait in the visitors’ lounge and see him when they were done. 

A woman in her fifties sat under the TV, working on a crossword puzzle. I smiled and said hello. She took this as an invitation to tell me about her finances, her sister’s boy who never remembered her birthday, and her husband’s lack of sex drive.

I’ve been told by other writers I should put more detail into my stories.  This woman didn’t have that problem. I expected her to show me her tax returns. I feared she had pictures.

As she left I rubbed my temples.  I wished I’d gotten her last name.  I could have found her husband online and then introduced him to Jack. Jack would know how to smuggle someone into a country where they’d never be found.

It took a while, but I found a reason to be grateful for the encounter with Mrs. Over-Share. I had filters. I didn’t feel the need to share my life with everyone I met. It was an odd reason to be grateful, but a good one.

Today I’ll find an odd reason to be grateful.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment