Tuesday, February 12, 2019

What You Gonna Do?
Cara held out her arms for me to hug her. I wondered if I could open the window behind her and push her out in one motion.  I hugged her instead. She started crying, deep wrenching sobs. We began to hear sirens, no doubt headed for the car fires. 

Cara stepped back, crossed herself, and shut her eyes for a second. She said, “The nuns taught us to say a little prayer whenever we heard a siren. Somebody is in trouble and need’s God’s help.”

“Somebody?” I asked Cara. “Somebody?  Cara it’s you. It’s you. It is.” She stared at me blankly.

“The insurance company will replace his car,” Cara said. “He’ll see he was wrong to leave me and apologize. I’ll say I’m sorry for torching his car.” She giggled.  I wondered how much she’d had to drink, and if every circle of friends included someone equal parts loveable and clueless.

That’s when the monitors hooked up to Trevor went crazy. I shook my head and set off for the cafeteria to get a cup of coffee. It was all I could do.

Today I will shake my head and drink my coffee.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment