Wednesday, February 20, 2019

I Can Fix That
While I waited for our food to be delivered, I began editing something I had written a few days earlier. The wording was awkward to say the least.  It read like something a  fifth-grader might have written, if he was in a hurry to finish his English homework so he could play X-Box.  I was grateful I had time to fix the paragraph before anyone else read it.

I started writing a list of things I’d been able to change.  After I got sober, I made up for some of the times I’d disappointed my parents. My mother and dad loved coming over for dinner and spending time with Blondie and Brat Boy.  I drank my way out of my Ph.D. program, but I went back and got a master’s degree.  At the very lowest point in my life, after I’d ruined one relationship after another, I met a woman who brightened my whole world. Almost thirty years later I still couldn’t believe my good luck in finding her.

The list went on.  I wrote another list of things I couldn’t change, past mistakes I couldn’t correct. I circled the ones I wasn’t likely to repeat, grateful for having learned my lesson.  

Today I will be grateful for the chance to correct my mistakes.


Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment