Wednesday, February 13, 2019

A Cup of Coffee
I took the stairs down to the cafeteria. It was late morning, but the coffee was still hot. I got the largest cup they sold and a banana-nut muffin. Scanning the tables I spotted a seat away from most people, on a table for two. I could count on nobody sitting across from me if I put my laptop on the seat.

I sat down and put my feet up on the seat across the table. Cradling my coffee in both hands, I felt the warmth seeping through the paper, almost too hot to hold. I let the steam wash over my face.  The muscles around my eyes and jaw relaxed.

I set the coffee aside and picked up the muffin.  It was cold. I walked over to the microwave, scooping up a packet of butter on my way.  In thirty seconds the muffin was warm enough to melt the butter. I returned to my coffee.

Cutting the muffin into quarters, I covered each section with butter.  I ate each quarter slowly, savoring the taste and texture.  Between quarters I took a sip of my coffee, still almost too hot to drink.

By the time I finished the muffin, my coffee was cool enough to really enjoy. I drank slowly, mostly with my eyes shut, feeling the warmth spread as the coffee traveled down my throat.

When my cup was empty, I leaned back in my chair and shut my eyes. Counting breaths, I didn’t fall asleep, but eased into a relaxed state. My skin felt warm, my head cleared, and I was aware of the sounds around me, but felt no need to pay attention to any one of them.   Savoring the joy out of the moment, I found an island of peace.

Today I will savor the joy of the moment.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment