Friday, February 15, 2019

To Tell The Truth
Cara’s car was top-of-the-line two-door Mercedes. Bubbles slept on the heated leather seats on the passenger side. Cara had left the car running, soft music playing, the interior temperature set at 72 degrees.  I hated to wake her up.

“Hey Bubbles,” I said as I opened the driver’s side door. I expected her to stretch, walk to my side, step down onto the floor, and then to the ground. Bubbles jumped from the passenger side to the driver’s and sprung into my arms.  Her whole body shook with excitement as she tried to lick my face.

I slid into the car, sucking in the luxury. I had never been a car guy. For me they were mostly transportation. But sitting in that car, with all its bells and whistles, I thought I understood Cara a little better.

Cara wasn’t stupid, far from it.  She had to know her marriage was in trouble. This car, her houses, all the rest were a lie of omission, a way of not telling herself the whole truth. They let her focus on what she had, pretending not to notice what she was losing. 

“The worst lie is the one you tell yourself,” I said to Bubbles.

Today I’ll be honest with myself.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment